Were you or a family member injured in a motor vehicle collision while riding in an Uber, Lyft, or Via?
Uber, Lyft and Via Auto Accidents
Accidents involving Uber, Lyft, and Via typically occur because the Uber, Lyft, or Via driver and/or other motorists are negligent or careless. If this has occurred to you, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. At AbramsLaw Group, P.C., our knowledgeable Uber, Lyft, and Via accident attorneys have extensive experience with all types of motor vehicle accidents, including those involving ridesharing companies.
As ridesharing apps like Uber, Lyft, and Via grow in popularity, so do the number of accidents involving drivers for these companies. Accidents involving Ubers, Lyfts, and Vias typically result in the same types of injuries as other auto accidents; however, the cause of these accidents and who is ultimately liable for damages can be quite complex.
With tens of thousands of Uber, Lyft, and Via drivers operating in New York City on a daily basis, accidents are inevitable. When an Uber, Lyft, or Via accident results in serious injuries, negligence frequently plays a role. This is not always the case, however. Among the most frequent instances of driver negligence that result in an Uber, Lyft, or Via accident are:
- As a result of having to rely heavily on their smartphone app to receive notifications about pickups, drop-offs, and directions to each stop, drivers for rideshare companies are even more prone to distraction than the average driver.
- Due to the fact that many customers are in a rush to get to an appointment or other location by a certain time, or to save a few minutes of travel time, it is common for some rideshare app drivers to speed occasionally.
- Stopping in unsafe areas: Occasionally, the GPS provided by rideshare apps instructs drivers to drop off or pick up passengers in a congested or otherwise hazardous area of the roadway.
- This is especially prevalent in New York City, as the boroughs are extremely densely populated.
- Even though Uber, Lyft, and Via require drivers to take breaks after a certain amount of driving time, depending on how busy their shift is, drivers may still be behind the wheel for 12 to 16 hours or more.
- Consequently, driver fatigue is a common cause of accidents involving Uber, Lyft, and Via.
In addition to the common causes listed above, accidents involving Uber, Lyft, and Via are frequently caused by poor vehicle maintenance, disregard for traffic laws, defective vehicle parts, poor road conditions, and passenger behaviour.
Who is Responsible for my Uber, Lyft, Via Accident?
The causes of auto accidents involving Uber, Lyft, and/or Via, as well as determining who is ultimately liable for damages, can be quite complex. There are frequently multiple individuals and possibly multiple ridesharing companies involved, and it may require extensive investigation to determine which parties to include.
The only way to determine against whom you have a claim is to discuss the specifics of your case with a knowledgeable Uber, Lyft, and Via auto accident injury attorney in New York City. Consider scheduling a free consultation with AbramsLaw Group, P.C. if you or a family member were seriously injured while riding in an Uber, Lyft, or Via.
The knowledge that you or a member of your family has suffered a serious injury and/or death as a result of a motor vehicle accident can be traumatic for the individual and the family, and could leave you with medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages, all of which could have a devastating effect on your finances.
There is no downside to discussing your case and learning about your legal options with an attorney. Your initial consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys in New York City is free of charge.
Rideshare Laws in New York
In addition to the standard rules of the road, Uber, Lyft, and Via drivers must adhere to various state and local regulations. In the state of New York, ridesharing companies include any individual or organisation that uses a digital network (such as a mobile application) to connect passengers with drivers to schedule trips. These businesses include Uber, Lyft, and Via.
New York City has its own regulations for rideshare drivers, which classify Uber, Lyft, and Via drivers as taxi drivers for regulatory purposes. To operate as a for-hire/taxi driver in New York City, drivers must comply with the following Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) regulations:
- Possess a valid commercial licence issued by the TLC
- Possess a TLC-licensed and qualified vehicle
- Vehicle associated with a TLC-licensed for-hire base, including Uber, Lyft, or Via.
What Do I Do if I’ve Been Injured in an Uber, Lyft or Via Auto Accident?
Ridesharing services can be a quick and convenient way to get around New York City, but after an accident, passengers should take the same steps as the driver.
- Provide a statement to the police and inquire about how to obtain a copy of the police report.
- Take photographs of the vehicles and crash site;
- Contact your lawyer if you have questions;
- Even if you did not request medical attention at the scene of the accident, you should see a doctor as soon as possible if you are experiencing pain.
The most important steps to take after an Uber, Lyft, or Via accident are identical to those for any other motor vehicle accident: call the police, seek medical attention, and/or contact an attorney.
How much is my Uber, Lyft, Via Auto Accident Injury case worth?
Every case is unique. The value of each case will ultimately depend on a number of variables, including:
- The severity of injuries/ultimate cause of death
- Your or your family’s current and future medical costs
- You or a family member’s wage loss
- What your prognosis or that of a loved one is and what the road to recovery will look like.
- The emotional and psychological impact of your injury or death on you or your family
Plaintiffs in Rideshare Auto Accident injury lawsuits will typically be able to recover both economic (financial) and non-economic (intangible) damages. This may include medical expenses, lost wages and income, emotional distress, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.
In accidents involving Uber, Lyft, and Via, damages may be recovered from the involved driver(s) and/or Uber, Lyft, and/or Via themselves. The amount you recover and the party responsible for your damages are dependent on the accident’s circumstances. AbramsLaw Group, P.C. can assist you in making these decisions and navigating this challenging time. Call our law office today to discuss your legal rights.
Schedule a Free Consultation to discuss your Uber, Lyft, Via Auto Accident Injury Lawsuit
Have you or a member of your family been involved in a car accident while riding in an Uber, Lyft, or Via? If this is the case, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the driver(s) and the ridesharing company.
Following any type of motor vehicle collision, it is in your best interest to consult with a lawyer about the best course of action. This is particularly true of ridesharing accidents, which frequently involve multiple parties and can be difficult to navigate. AbramsLaw Group, P.C.’s New York City Uber, Lyft, and Via Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the process and maximise your financial recovery.
Contact Our Personal Injury Law Firm
Contact Abrams Law Group for a free consultation if you’ve been hurt in an accident and require legal assistance.